Monday, November 13, 2006

Post-micturition convulsion syndrome

We're now pretty sure that this is what Ren has. I get it too sometimes so it's really no big surprise. Aya was the first to notice it pointing out how he would shiver saying, "See he just wet his diaper!" I like that there is such a wonderful medical word for the pee shivers. Aya didn't seem to have any good Japanese equivalent of the word handy. How could that be?

It seems Ren is going through an intellectual boom. He has started doing a lot of the things we've been trying to get him to do like sign and use spoken words in addition to his usual long-winded babble. One of his favorite signs is "Milk", as in the kind that come from Aya. He will come up to me while we're playing and Aya is sleeping and do this sign and get mad when I apologize for not having what he wants. I wonder if he expects me to get Aya or thinks I can do it and just don't want to? Another sign he is fond of is "Hot". He says this pretty well as he signs when he sees things being fried or feels them a little warm. He will call something hot long after it has cooled like he's remembering "this was Hot!". He will also make attempts at the sign for "Fish" as if to say, "look there's one in the book!".

And today he was using the magnet sketch board to draw! I wonder what he will be doing by the time we go back to Japan for the holidays. here I am already longing for the cold Kansai jet lag high.

Pictured here: Ren and my brothers nose.

2 comments:

Julianna said...

I read the definition of post-micturition covulsion syndrome, aka "pee shivers"... I must have pre-micturition convulsion syndrome because I get the "shivers" before I have to "go", thus causing me sometimes to do a "pee-pee dance"!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes,the pee-pee dance. But I thought the pee shivers were something that happened immediately after the peeing or as soon as the muscles keeping you from peeing were relaxed. I guess when you really have to go and there is a low room temperature your body is spending a lot of energy on keeping all your fluids at 98.6 degrees. That might just be a normal shiver. We definitely need some real research on this.